How to Make a Box Oven for Camping
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website. Learn more
A box oven is an easy and convenient way to cook while camping.
It is essentially a small, portable oven that can be used to bake or heat up food. Best of all, it requires no electricity, so it is perfect for camping trips where there is no power source and you’re doing equestrian camping.
Here are some tips on how to make a box oven for camping.
- Gather your materials. You will need a cardboard box (preferably one that is at least 2 feet square), some aluminum foil, and two metal baking pans.
- Cut two holes in the top of the box, opposite each other. These holes should be big enough to fit the baking pans.
- Line the inside of the box with aluminum foil, shiny side up. This will help reflect the heat back into the box and help cook the food evenly after you have kept it cold for a while.
- Place the baking pans inside the holes at the top of the box. Place them so that they are about halfway down into the box. The idea is to have one pan near the top of the box and one near the bottom so that heat can circulate evenly throughout the box.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit before placing your food inside the baking pans. Then, simply place the pans with food into the oven and bake according to your recipe’s instructions! Just be sure to check on your food periodically, as it may cook faster in a box oven than in a regular oven.
- When you’re done cooking, carefully remove the pans from the oven and allow them to cool before removing your food. Enjoy!
- To clean up, simply remove the aluminum foil lining and dispose of it properly. The cardboard box can be recycled.
- If you’ll be using your box oven regularly, you may want to consider investing in a more durable option such as an aluminum one. Aluminum boxes are sturdier and will last longer than cardboard ones, although they are more expensive upfront.’
- If you’re really looking for a challenge, you can try building an insulated box oven! This type of oven is even more efficient at cooking food evenly and conserving heat.’
- Whatever type of oven you choose to make, always be sure to use caution when handling hot pans and aluminum foil. Have fun and happy cooking!
Follow these simple tips and you’ll have a working box oven in no time! Happy cooking!