What is Yurt Camping?
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website. Learn more
Yurt camping is a type of camping that is growing in popularity due to its many benefits. Yurts are essentially portable tents that can be set up in any location.
They provide more space and privacy than traditional tents, and they can be outfitted with all the amenities of home.
Yurt campers generally enjoy the following benefits:
- More space: Yurts typically range from 16 to 30 feet in diameter, providing ample space for up to six people to sleep comfortably which means you can’t do stealth camping with it.
- More privacy: Yurts are usually set up in remote locations, providing campers with a sense of isolation and peace.
- More amenities: Yurts can be outfitted with electricity, furniture, and other home comforts.
If you’re looking for a unique camping experience that offers more space and privacy than traditional tent camping, yurt camping may be for you. Read on for a comprehensive guide to everything you need to know about yurt camping.
Why Stay in a Yurt?
Yurts have been used for centuries by nomadic peoples as temporary dwellings. Today, yurts are still used as temporary dwellings, but they are also popular as vacation homes, offices, art studios, and more.
Yurts are especially popular with campers because they offer all the benefits of tent camping with none of the drawbacks.
Here are some of the top reasons why people choose to stay in yurts while camping:
- Yurts provide more space than traditional tents
- Yurts can be outfitted with furniture and other home comforts
- Yurts offer more privacy than traditional tents
- Yurts can be erected in any location
- Yurts are a unique way to experience nature
What to Bring When Yurt Camping
When packing for a yurt camping trip, it’s important to remember that you’ll be staying in a semi-enclosed space without running water or electricity.
Here are some essential items to bring when yurt camping:
- Sleeping bags or blankets
- Camping stove
- Cooler to stay cool while camping
- Food and drinks (non-perishable food items if possible)
- Cookware (pots, pans, utensils)
- Lanterns or flashlights
- First aid kit
- Bug spray
- Games or books
How to Set Up Your Yurt
Most yurt campers choose to rent a yurt rather than purchase one outright. Yurt rental companies will generally deliver and set up your yurt for you so that all you have to do is show up and enjoy your vacation.
If you’re planning on purchasing a yurt, however, here’s a quick overview of how to set one up:
- Start by measuring the area where you plan to set up your yurt. You’ll need a level spot that’s large enough to accommodate the footprint of your yurt as well as any furniture or other belongings you plan on bringing inside.
- Next, clear away any debris or rocks from the area where you’ll be setting up your yurt. This will help ensure that your yurt stays level and stable once it’s erected.
- Once the area is clear, lay down a tarp or ground cloth to protect your yurt from moisture and dirt.
- To erect your yurt, start by assembling the frame according to the instructions included with your yurt kit. Once the frame is assembled, stretch the fabric cover over the frame and secure it in place using the ties or clips provided with your kit
- Once the cover is secure, seal any openings around doors or windows using tape or another sealant material provided with your kit
- Finally, stake down your yurt using stakes or guy lines anchored into the ground around the perimeter of your structure
- Once your yurt is complete, you can add any furniture or belongings you brought with you and enjoy your vacation!
Whether you’re looking for an alternative to traditional tent camping or just want to try something new on your next vacation, give yurt camping a try!
With its many benefits like increased space and privacy and its unique setting, there’s no better way to experience nature than by staying in a cozy yurt surrounded by beautiful scenery!